Frozen pipes can crack and burst, causing flooding and other nightmares for your home. We will assess the situation and make sure your insurance company is fair in your claim to replace any damage.
Water damage is among the most common causes of insurance claims. When standing water gets trapped in pipes and the temperature drops below freezing, the frozen water can expand and will burst a hole through the pipe or break the pipe at its seam. If it is not caught in time and the water starts to thaw out, you could be dealing with flood and water damage from the leaking pipe.
Here is a list of things you can do to help protect your pipes from freezing during the winter:
- Clean your gutters so melting snow and ice can flow freely
- Turn on your faucets and allow them to drip slowly. Flowing water is less likely to freeze.
- Heat your house to a minimum of 65 degrees in the winter so pipes stay thawed out.
- Open cabinet doors below sinks. It will let in the warm air.
- Disconnect all outdoor hoses and install covers on all outside hose attachments.
- Identify the location of the main water valve and the valve on your water heater in case you need to turn it off in an emergency.
- Wrap pipes near exterior walls and in crawl spaces with pipe insulation or with heating tape. This can prevent freezing.
- Make sure all windows near pipes are closed.
- Make sure your basement is heated.
- Insulate outside walls and unheated areas of your home.
- If you plan to be away from home for an extended period of time, shut off your water supply to your washer.
We preserve the frozen pipes so the insurance carrier can examine them in the event that a third party is involved or held responsible for the damage. We will thoroughly read over and assess your insurance policy to make sure that you follow all provisions to file a proper claim. Failure to comply with policy provisions can result in a denial of the claim. We will ensure that does not happen and you get the money you need to fix your pipes, and repair any resulting water damage. We will also make sure the restoration and dry out is done properly and your settlement money is not depleted by surprise charges. See our section on flood damage adjustment for more details.